An angle grinder is an indispensable tool that you should consider if you desire to push your craft to the next level. Whether you want to grind, cut metals, or polish that classic car, you cannot overlook the importance of having the right tools on hand. One of such tool is the angle grinder which is an ideal choice for removing rust and corrosion, deburring metals, sanding or cutting through plate and bar stock.
They are lightweight and versatile tools whereby their utility is only limited by the level of your skill. They accommodate numerous disc sizes/attachments/wheels depending on the task that needs to be done. The most common attachments are the grinding stone disc, carbon steel wire wheel, sanding disc, and stainless steel wire wheel.
Although the user is likely to face some safety risks, many models are designed to ensure the best safety while using this tool. A good model should also be able to balance other features which include the right amount of power for the specific task, size and replacement parts.
There are a number of these hand-held tools out here but only a few are equipped with the necessary components. This is not something that you want to take a chance with which is why we have compressively assessed the features of each model and presented you the most suitable angle grinders that are worth your investment.
Here is a comparison of our best angle grinders at a glance.
Comparison Table for the Best Angle Grinders for 2023
1. Makita XAG04Z Overall Best for 2023
Makita grinders are in a class of their own when it comes to cordless machines and so is XAG04Z. It belongs to the category of LXT machines that boosts of great industrial performance and great charging time. Additionally, this machine has inbuilt computer controls that allow you to monitor various operations in real time. With that, you get a machine that is smart, powerful and robust.
Makita XAG04Z Key Features and Benefits
- Automatic Speed Change Technology: Makita XAG04Z features an automatic speed change technology that allows you to adjust the speed and the torque alike while operating enabling you to achieve great results. In addition to this, it also comes with an active feedback sensing technology which turns off the motor automatically when the rotation of the wheel is halted intentionally.
- Quality Build: This unit is made of durable and hard materials but more importantly, it has good ergonomics. The design incorporates a rubberized hand grip which helps to mitigate the vibrations and at the same time it offers a firm grip. This helps to ensure consistency and stability especially during extended use as it prevents exhaustion and fatigue.
- 3-Stage LED Gauge: Makita XAG04Z has one of the fastest recharging batteries that come with a 3-stage LED gauge which helps to indicate the level of charge during use. The gauge also helps to monitor conditions during operations to protect the grinder against over-discharging, overloading and overheating. The additional slide switch is strategically positioned with a lock-on to give the operator an optimal experience.
- The Brushless Motor: Makita XAG04Z is powered by a brushless motor which is a great addition when compared to brushed units. This motor has an extended runtime and it ensures that the machine will remain cool even if you use it for long hours. This motor is also controlled electronically which helps to save on battery charge by up to 50%.
- Faster recharging.
- Comes with simple controls.
- Comfortable design that features a rubberized soft grip.
- High uptime
- Appropriate for both professional and home use.
- Not powerful as corded grinders.
- Relatively expensive.
Makita XAG04Z is quite effective and efficient and the good thing is that it is suitable for light projects and more demanding projects as well. It is a decent angle grinder featuring a nice set of functions that should be able to meet your expectations.
Cut through those metal pieces without breaking a sweat with the amazing Makita XAG04Z.
2. DEWALT DCG413B
DeWalt DCG413B is an impressive angle grinder with reliable power that enables it to enter through concrete and cement quickly without any problem. It is a brushless angle grinder that contains paddle switch, 2-stage trigger, and kickback brake which allows you to get a straightforward operation. The long battery life will ensure that you don’t make unnecessary breaks in the middle of an operation.
DEWALT DCG413B Key Features and Benefits
- Lithium-ion Battery: DEWALT DCG413B features a 20V Lithium-ion battery which provides enough working capacity to allow you to work continuously without making short pauses. This battery also has a fast recharging time although it is recommended that you get a spare battery. So regardless of where your project takes you, with DCG413B, you will be assured of reliable, cordless power.
- The Blade Brake: DCG413B is equipped with a blade brake for swift action which becomes operational when the paddle switch is released. This in turns brings the wheel to a halt automatically. This is an important safety measure and it is especially important in busy workshops or if you have kids around your work area.
- DeWalt’s Variable Speed: This angle grinder from DeWalt offers a no-load speed which delivers up to 9000 RPM which translates to over 55% more run time which together with the brushless motor, you will be assured of a more productive and improved lifespan. Additionally, the brushless motor improves the battery life and reduces the maintenance practices. This is the latest technology that has been adopted by most high-end performing power tools.
- Upgraded Features: This angle grinder includes a couple of upgraded features which include the E-clutch system and the electric brake which help to control blade speed. Another important feature is the one-touch guard which allows the user to make any single action adjustment at any particular time. You may also like the fact that this angle grinder produces less vibration and it is dust-resistant.
- The brushless motor improves the lifespan of the machine.
- Very efficient braking.
- Improved battery life.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- Great power at the price.
- It tends to overheat after prolonged use.
- The user cannot change or control the speed.
DeWalt DCG413B stood out above close competitors due its great balance between features, price, and functionality. It is highly durable and lightweight which is one of the major reasons why it is quite popular. It is not meant for heavy duty assignments but it will still get things done within no time.
Get DeWalt DCG413B with DeWalt’s upgraded features at a very reasonable price.
3. Milwaukee 2780-20 M18
Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 is yet another cordless angle grinder with enough power to take on tough job in your workshop or your service garage. It is one of the most portable machine on the market; all you need to do is to pop in a battery and get things done. It, however, does not come with the battery and as such you will need to buy one separately.
Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Key Features and Benefits
- Highly Versatile and Ergonomic Design: Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 is highly versatile as it can work with cutting and grinding disks of various sizes, common ones ranging from 4.5 to 5 inches. The included rapid brakes help to stop grinding and cutting in 1.5 seconds and 0.9 seconds respectively. The narrow grip on the body and the ergonomically designed side handle help to ensure that you are always in control of the tool.
- The Red-Link Plus Intelligence Technology: This is an onboard electronic system that is unique to Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 that works by preventing your motor and battery from overheating. The brushless motor also helps with the problem of overheating providing better performance with minimal motor wear meaning that the product has quite a bit of life in it.
- Tool-Less Adjustments: 2780-20 M18 allows you to make any accessory changes and guard adjustments without requiring any extra tool. This helps to save on running time which means increased productivity. Additionally, M18 is enclosed in a metal housing which comes with a gearing system similar to that of high-end corded grinders for durability and strength. This ensures that the unit delivers unmatched power and runtime on the job site.
- Power to Grind: Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 is cordless grinder with the performance of a corded grinder thanks to its Redlithium XC4.0 that gives the machine 4 times more run time with 20% more running power. The portability aspect of this machine and having total control is another contributing factor that facilitates your grinding work.
- Impressive battery life.
- Well designed to fit the hands comfortably.
- Metal housing for strength and durability.
- It comes with a dust-resistant paddle switch.
- Brushless motor for improved performance and durability.
- It is relatively heavy for extended use.
- Fixed guard position.
- It comes with a number of cumbersome switches.
Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 is a highly convenient tool that you should consider adding to your tool arsenal. The good thing is that this grinder has a thin body that allows you to rest your hands easily with anti-vibration side handle. This among other features makes this tool quite impressive.
Shop for this tool with complete confidence as Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 will protect your investment.
4. Metabo WEV15-125
Metabo WEV15-125 is considered larger than an average angle grinder with a 1550 W motor which makes it suitable for grinding and finishing applications. In addition, the motor features an advanced design that allows some cool air in for a cooler run thus providing longevity even when the machine overheats. The motor size is ideal for heavy duty and more demanding applications.
Metabo WEV15-125 Key Highlights and Benefits
- Variable Speed Option: Metabo WEV15-125 allows you to alter speed levels easily which is coupled with its high overload capacity. This means that you can customize the speed based on the materials that you are working on. The speed will remain constant under heavy load and the RPM vary depending on application’s requirements meaning that you can use this grinder on stones and marbles.
- Longer Service Life: WEV15-125 marathon –motor is one of the contributing factor for the tool’s long service life which provides up to 20% more overload capacity and 50% more torque. Patented with dust protection mechanism, the motor is able to facilitate faster removal of material. Left-handed operators don’t need to worry as you can mount the gear housing in 90-degree steps until the desired position is achieved.
- Safety Aspect: Metabo WEV15-125 features auto-stop carbon brushes which help in protecting the motor against overheating. The S-automatic safety clutch ensures a swift progress while at the same time it helps to minimize kick-back even when the disc gets jammed from nowhere. Also, its tool-less and twist-proof adjustable guard allows you to concentrate on your work and at the same time, you will be less fatigued.
- Electronic Features: This unit is packed with a number of electronic features which include the speed stabilization for enhanced productivity, the overload protection to prevent the machine from overheating especially in more demanding operations which ensures a longer service life. The electronic soft start ensures a soft startup which help to increase user control and an improved motor life.
- Comes with a couple of safety features.
- Very little vibration.
- Electronic soft start ensures a smooth startup.
- Faster and tool-free disc change.
- Longer service life.Longer service life.
- It emits a lot of noise.
- Heavier than other models.
- It tends to heat after prolonged use.
You can never go wrong with Metabo WEV15-125 if you need a grinder for heavy duty applications. It is super durable although it is considered heavier than other models. It is packed with a lot of power which is why you should consider this great addition.
Get Metabo WEV15-125 on Amazon at an affordable price.
5. PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG
PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG has been designed for aggressive performance offering a lightweight and compact platform to contractors, fabricators, welders and other professionals who are searching for a corded grinder for grinding, polishing, cutting metal among other applications. It is a good machine for those looking for a combination of build quality, function, and safety in the budget segment.
PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG Key Features and Benefits
- Cast Metal Gear Case : PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG includes cast metal gear which protects the machine from overheating as it helps with heat dissipation for excellent durability and at the same time increase job site durability. This means that with PC60TPAG, you will have equipped your workshop with a tool that will last for decades without showing any signs of damage.
- Convenience and Power: PC60TPAG is one of the lightest grinder in our list at just 4.1lbs. The 7 amp motor provides an RPM of up to 11000 which is high enough for heavy-duty applications at the job site. The side handle can be repositioned in any of the three provided presets (left, right, top) for better comfort while working and to suit a variety of applications. The convenient paddle switch helps the machine to automatically shut off in an event it drops off accidentally.
- Tool-Free Guard Adjustments: PC60TPAG comes with both the grinding guard and the cutting guard, unlike most traditional grinders which come with only the cutting guard. The two guards are completely tool-free and you can quickly adjust to control various functions and to increase safety and productivity on the worksite. The unit also comes with a grinding wheel, wrench, side handle and cut-off wheel to help you use it efficiently.
- The Spindle Lock Feature: This feature is important as it allows you to use just one wrench to eject and swap out the disc quickly when changing jobs or then the particular disc wears out. This helps to save time at the worksite. The unit comes with the wrench and an instructional manual to guide you on how to use machine efficiently for improved productivity.
- Highly portable.
- It has three-position side handle for versatility.
- It is inexpensive model.
- Cast metal gear case for durability.
- Tool-free guard allows for quick guard adjustments.
- Low power.
- Cut-off wheels are not as perfect.
- Not appropriate for heavy duty applications.
If you are looking for a decent grinder that is highly versatile and packed with great features for cutting and grinding with precision, then you have a choice in Porter-Cable PC60TPAG. It is a budget grinder and it works in an effortless manner.
Get Porter-Cable PC60TPAG if you are looking for a high performing and robust machine. Get it on Amazon today.
Buying Guide; Buying the Best Angle Grinder
We all know how it feels when our home improvement tools do not serve as well. So, what do you look for when buying an angle grinder? How do you know if an angle if the grinder will fulfill your needs or if the features provided are appropriate for the price? Knowing what to look for in terms of the measurable parameters and unquantifiable specifications is what sets a difference between an average buy and a great buy.
Here is everything you need to know before choosing the best angle grinder;
i. Disc Size
Disk size is going to be determined by the nature of work you are going to perform. Large grinders are available in 7 inches or more and they make it easy for you to perform heavy duty tasks. Small grinders, on the other hand, are available in disks sizes of between 4 and 5 inches and they are ideal for detailed and precise work.
ii. Types of Wheels
There are many types of wheels designed for different tasks. In fact, this is a major consideration. Your investment will be pretty much useless without having the right wheel even when you have the right machine. It is important to make sure you know which wheel to use for a specific purpose even though most grinders works with most type of wheels.
iii. Motor Power
Powerful motor means stronger performance and as such, grinders with such motors are capable of working on harder materials. Grinders with small motors are designed for small DIY projects or softer materials. Different angle grinders will come with different amp ratings, different voltage and wattage. The most important consideration is the amp rating that normally ranges between 4 amps and 15 amps. A lower amp rating is recommended for household tasks while professional tasks will require higher amps ratings.
iv. Rated Operating Speed
This is simply the operating speed which is measured in RPM (revolution per minute). Basically, the more the revolving speed, the faster you job gets accomplished. Many angular grinder brands provide an operating speed ranging from 5000-10000 RPM. The downside of a quicker grinder is that it is harder to control than a slower one. It also tends to heat up quickly.
v. Safety Features
Safety is an important consideration while using a power tool such as an angle grinder. As mentioned earlier, an angular grinder works at very high speed which can be very dangerous without some safety precautions. A good angle grinder will come with an adjustable guard which helps to protect you from speedy byproducts. The adjustability aspect enables you to work at different angles.
In addition to this, ensure that your tool has the ‘dead man switch’ which helps to prevent the grinder from starting in case you press the start button accidentally.
Your angle grinder should also feature an electric brake system which enables the grinder to shut off automatically to prevent overheating.
Other safety features include the spindle locks, paddle switches, dust ejection which not only keep you safe but also they preserve your machine in good condition for many years.
vi. Power Source
Your source is equally an important consideration before you settle on a specific model. There are both corded and cordless angle grinder and each have their own share of advantages and disadvantages. If you intend to use your grinder on continuous basis, you are better off with a corded model. They can be used for long hours and they are not dependent on a charged battery. The cordless or battery powered model will come in handy when you do not need to use the grinder continuously.
The choice of the angle grinder can help improve or ruin your work. The most important thing is to assess your needs before you make a purchase decision.
Whether you need an angle grinder for DIY workshop or for professional look, the factors that will go into buying a quality grinder revolves around durability, power, and safety during usage. With an ever growing market for these hand-held tools, you need to evaluate each of these tools, the features you want, the workload ahead of you and what you expect out of the tool. You can find many uses for a quality made angle grinder and we hope our guide will help you make a rational purchase decision.