Over the past few years, multi-process welders have dominated the market, and they have become an incredible option for professional welders or hobbyists who want versatility at a lower cost. Getting a tool that can help you perform your tasks in a timely and safe manner is a great step toward achieving excellent results. While it is still a good idea to own separate machines for different welding processes, the best multi-process welder performs just as well and takes up only a fraction of the space.
While you may not be a pro in all welding processes, owning a multi-purpose machine opens the door to mastering even the complex TIG process once you have learned MIG or Stick welding. Most machines include Stick, Flux-Core, MIG, and TIG. However, some high-end models include a plasma cutter and other welding processes. These machines are ideal for home enthusiasts, farmers, or metal workers who need to cut or weld various metal sheets, pipes, and machinery, among other applications.
Best Multi-Process Welder Comparison Table
1. Forney Easy Weld 140 MP
The Forney Easy Weld 140 MP supports MIG, DC TIG, and stick welding, and it is ideal for shop repairs, quick construction work, and DIY projects. The all-metal case and metal wire drive assembly are built to be tough and durable so you can tie it to the back of your truck. This unit is capable of handling 2-10 pound rolls of wire with infinite wire speed controls to help you deliver perfect welds.
- 3-in-1 multi-process welder: This machine is designed to do flux-core welding, but you can set it up to do MIG welding with shielding gas. It can be used to weld up to ¼ inch mild steel, but you’ll need to get a regulator and hose separately. This welder is also capable of DC TIG welding, but you’ll also need to get all accessories separately. However, it is not the best multi-process welder for welding aluminum. The unit is also used for stick welding with the capability of running up to 1/8″ stick electrodes.
- Three-position switch: The Forney Easy Weld 140 MP features a convenient three-position switch that makes it easy to toggle between welding processes in seconds. The unit is built with ease of use in mind, so even for a beginner, you should be able to use this machine without any hassles. However, the on/switch button is placed on the back, which might be uncomfortable for some users.
- Incredible controls: This multi-process machine is designed with infinite voltage and wire speed controls that allow the user to control the weld and deliver perfect welds. With these controls, you should be able to adjust the power and precision of your application for smoother welds than before. You’ll also like this Forney Easy weld machine because you can use it with or without gas based on the type of wire you’ve selected.
- Rugged all-metal construction: The Forney Easy Weld 140 MP is housed in an all-metal case combined with a metal wire drive assembly to give you a tough and durable product. The machine is well made, and comfortable to use, and it performs beyond your expectations. The unit also has an integrated handle for improved portability and user convenience.
- Effortless to switch between various welding processe
- The all-metal case is built to last long.
- The unit is beginner-friendly and quite affordable.
- You can use this welding unit with a generator.
- It is also quite lightweight and comfortable to use.
- It uses both gas and gasless MIG wire.
- TIG accessories are sold separately.
- Not designed for heavy-duty or industrial applications.
The Forney Easy Weld 140 MP is convenient to use just about anywhere with standard household current, and it has straightforward instructions so you’ll have no issues running it. It produces neat welds, and it has multitudes of positive reviews, so we highly recommend it to anyone looking for an all-in-one welder.
2. Weldpro 200 Amp
There is nothing much you can’t do with this unit. It is a multi-purpose welder designed to handle any chore, including welding aluminum using the spool gun. The machine’s versatility is also shown in its wide welding amperage ranges and its ability to use both low and high-voltage power sources. What’s more, it has an IGBT inverter for the best welding experience.
Other Core Features
- Synergic welder: The Weldpro 200 Amp is a synergically designed multi-process welder capable of MIG/Flux Core welding, Stick welding and lift TIG welding with an option of welding aluminum using the included spoon gun in MIG mode. You can use this machine for car repairs, decorations, hardware, equipment, and factory maintenance.
- Space-saving unit: Weighing just 30 pounds, this welding machine is light and compact, making it a perfect choice for DIY jobs and small business projects. It takes up very little space in your garage or shed, and it can be stored anywhere in your home. Besides, it comes in a super stylish design with all features of a high-end multi-purpose welding machine.
- Dual digital display: The Weldpro 200 Amp comes with an easy-to-read dual digital display that allows you to set the correct amperage and wire speed every time. The machine also uses both 2T and 4T modes, which means it is truly capable of handling any chore thrown at it. There is also an overload protector and VRD high temp indicator to present a user-friendly and safe use design.
- The IGBT inverter technology: This compact multi-process welding machine uses IGBT inverter technology that provides more power for improved welding performance. This advanced technology also ensures that the machine provides clean energy and that the welds are of the highest quality. It is a dual voltage (220V/110V) machine, which is necessary for different welding applications and materials.
- It offers an outstanding 200A output.
- It can be used to weld aluminum.
- Easy to read dual digital display.
- It features a compact and stylish design.
- It includes the TIG torch, so you don’t need to get one separately.
- 2T and 4T modes are available.
- 30% duty cycle is not the best.
- Not the most powerful unit out there.
Weldpro is most of the trusted manufacturers in the welding industry for producing products that offer the ultimate welding experience. The Weldpro 200 Amp provides all the features you need in a multi-process welder, and it gives you a lot of choices at no extra cost.
3. Lincoln Electric Powermig 210 Mp #K3963-1
The Lincoln Electric Powermig 210 Mp#K3963-1 is a powerful multi-process that allows you to switch between MIG, DC TIG, Arc welding, and flux core processes. It offers dual power capability so you can plug it into a standard power supply. It is also light and portable, so it is ideal for DIY enthusiasts looking for something they can lob into the back of the truck and take to different working sites.
- Dual voltage inputs: The dual voltage capability (120V or 230V) allows you to plug your machine anywhere and anytime. It offers MIG/Flux Core processes, DC TIG, and Arc welding, and it delivers smooth and strong welds. It is an excellent choice for small repair works as well as intricate precision jobs, but it may not be good enough for heavy-duty projects.
- Convenient push-and-turn digital controls: The digital push-and-turn controls make setup effortless, especially for quick adjustment on the arc. It welds like a welder almost two times the price, but you’ll need to buy the gas tank separately. The unit is also small and lightweight (40 lbs.), and it comes with most accessories you need to get started on your projects.
- Large color display: This model features a large color display to guide the user through the setup process and usage. For someone new to welding, the screen makes everything easy with just a click of a button. Other than that, you can key in various settings such as metal thickness, and gas mix, and you are all set up. This is especially helpful if you are not experienced in choosing the welder settings.
- Superior build quality: The Lincoln Electric Powermig 210 Mp #K3963-1 features excellent build quality, and it is made by one of the oldest names in this business, so its durability is unrivaled. What’s more, the duty cycle is perfect for small to medium-duty work at home, and it is a great machine to learn the basics of welding.
- Setup is easy, and it is also beginner-friendly.
- Settings are also easy to access.
- Excellent build quality.
- It is also lightweight, making it perfect for small industrial and household repairs.
- Excellent arc performance for a clean welding every time.
- It is a bit expensive, but it gives the best output.
- It is not the best for heavy-duty welding work.
This machine provides stable power and performance, so if you need something for your home shop, consider this Lincoln welder. It works smoothly right out of because and it gives flawless welds every time.
4. Lotos CT520D
If you make a living out of welding, the Lotos CT520D is one of the best multi-process welders that allows you to Stick/DC TIG weld and plasma cut from one portable unit. It offers high-cutting performance and delivers professional-grade welds for DIY users as well as professional users. It is also compact and lightweight, so if your tasks involve moving around, this machine does not present any difficulties.
Features of Lotos CT520D
- Stick/MMA/TIG welder: The LOTOS CT520D allows the operator to Stick/DC TIG weld from one unit, and switching between the two processes is seamless. It features a 15-200 AMP TIG operation for welding stainless steel and precise welding of thin materials. Additionally, it has an HF start with hand torch control and a foot pedal for precise weld control. The Stick function offers an easy arc start, and you can use it for minor repairs around the home.
- 50 AMP air plasma cutter: Apart from its welding capabilities, the Lotos CT520D is used to provide high-precision cuts. It is suitable for cutting stainless steel, mild steel, copper, stainless steel, and aluminum, among other metals. The 50 AMP plasma cutter uses non-hazardous compressed air to deliver an ideal cut thickness of 1/2,” and it is much safe and more comfortable to use when compared to oxyacetylene torches.
- Automatic dual voltage input: Another important feature is the automatic dual voltage operation that allows the machine to run directly on both 110V and 220 V. So, you can just plug it into your socket, and you’re ready to go. Besides, this model is compact and lightweight, so if your projects involve moving around, then this welder is for you. The build materials are of high quality, so it looks and feels more expensive than its price.
- Straightforward and easy to use: The Lotos CT520D is pretty straightforward, and you will have it running in almost no time. Most functions are easy, and the machine can be assembled fully within 1 minute. You can use the air filter regulator and the pre-installed plug to connect to your compressor, and the best part is it comes with a hose for connecting to the compressor.
- More safe and easy to use.
- It is a quality welder unit for small businesses and DIYers.
- It is generally quiet, so it is perfect for home use.
- Weld and cutting speed is excellent.
- The components are made of quality materials.
- DC only so it cannot be used to weld aluminum.
- You’ll need an air compressor for plasma cutting applications.
This small machine offers the standard processes found in high-end multi-process welders, and it is ideal for home projects. The HF start is pretty awesome, and for the price, the performance of this machine is excellent, especially if you are doing DC only.
5. Everlast PowerMTS 251Si
The Everlast PowerMTS 251Si is a digitally controlled multi-process welding unit that is compact, versatile, and powerful. It is a leader in the multi-process class since it offers features for pulse MIG and pulse TIG, an option that is rare with other manufacturers. Also, it is designed with ease of use in mind since it does not have any hidden features.
- Digital IGBT Inverter construction: The Everlast PowerMTS 251Si has integrated a digital IGBT inverter with the capability of handling the three popular welding styles: MIG, TIG, and Stick welding. The stick function is designed to offer more adjustability. On the other hand, the TIG function offers more versatility by allowing the operator to choose between a non-touch HF start and a high lift touch.
- Versatile multi-process welder: Other than the standard Stick welding, DC MIG, and TIG welding capability, this machine is a beast for Pulse MIG, Synergic MIG, and Pulse TIG operation modes. These features are not readily available in other models making it a leader in its class. However, this welder has a large footprint, and it is pretty large in every regard, so it is not ideal for carrying from one job site to another.
- Easy to access controls: If you are concerned that the advanced features may make it hard to operate your machine, worry not. This machine does not have a complicated touch screen to press or hidden features that are hard to access. All controls and connections are located on the front panel where you can access them easily, and they are classified according to function and in an easy format.
- Argon regulator and foot pedal for precision: The argon gas regulator and the foot pedal are yet other impressive features that make this machine produce quality welds. On top of that, you have the option of going manual concerning the wire feeding and setting the intensity, and this says a lot about the engineering of this model and its workhorse capabilities.
- It includes a foot pedal for TIG operations.
- There is also an Argon regulator to ensure high precision.
- Good arc characteristics.
- The pulse feature TIG and MIG are excellent.
- It has a HF start with no feed issues.
- Though compact, it is heavy, so it is not suitable for mobile welding.
- It lacks AC capabilities.
The Everlast PowerMTS 251Si has a large footprint, but it has a convenient foot pedal allowing you to have more control over your operations. The quiet operation is quite a bonus, while the dual voltage power supply enables you to use it almost anywhere.
6. Miller 951674 Multimatic 215
The Miller 951674 Multimatic 215 is a versatile MIG, TIG, and Stick welders designed to help you develop and build your welding skills. This machine is built to last, and although it doesn’t come with many accessories, it is quite reliable. In addition, the digital color LCD makes setup a breeze, and there is no guesswork, especially for beginners.
Features and Benefits of Miller 951674 Multimatic 215
- Multi process capability : The Miller 951674 Multimatic 215 is a versatile Stick, MIG, and TIG welder that welds up to 3/8″ of mild steel. And although it just weighs just about 38lbs. it packs some serious power, and it lays beautiful welds. The TIG kit is included, but it does not include as many accessories as you may have expected for the price.
- Multi-voltage plug : This 3-in-1 welder comes with a multi-voltage plug to allow connection in either 120 V or 240 V without changing the plug or using any other tool. All you need is to pick a plug that matches your receptacle, connect to the power cord, and you are ready to go. It also has a smooth start design that allows for consistent and spatter-free MIG starts.
- Two gas connections : This model also provides two gas connections, a feature that you are likely to find with other multi-purpose welders of its class. With the two connections, you can hook up both tanks, so you don’t have to change your gas tank when you need to switch from MIG to TIG. So, you can have your Argon TIG tank and MIG connected at the same time and an additional Argon regulator for the TIG gas tank.
- Color LCD : The welder has a color LCD with auto-set elite, which allows you to fine-tune your settings for different materials and multiple processes. The machine also has an automatic thermal overload shut down to protect the unit against overheating when the duty cycle is exceeded while giving you the freedom to perform an array welding processes.
- It offers two gas inputs.
- The digital display takes you through the setup process.
- It is portable, reliable, and consistent.
- It offers smooth and super clean welds.
- Build quality is excellent.
- Quite pricy but highly recommended.
- The TIG kit is not included.
You can never go wrong with Miller welding machines. The Miller 951674 Multimatic 215 portable and small in size, but it fits your needs perfectly. It is easy to maneuver while getting the job done at your convenience.
The Best Multi Process Welder Buying Guide
Like any other machine you buy, you want to get a multi process welder that will last for years and get the best value for your money. When purchasing a multi process welder, here are a few things to look out for;
The main idea behind a multi process welder is the ability to support different types of welding processes and remove the hassle of switching between different equipment. A multi process welder should be able to handle the basic kind of welding processes, and also it should allow you to switch between different processes easily.
Most units in our review support the basic welding methods, including MIG, Stick, and TIG welding, while some models can handle flux core, plasma cutting, and a few other processes. So, if you do a lot of welding, you’ll need something that excels in every kind of welding and has a variety of features for different processes.
ii. The Display
Most multi process welders have a display for proper control of the inputs and outputs. Parameters such as wire speed and amperage can be controlled via the screen, while in other models, the display is used to guide the user through the setup process. Most models are equipped with a digital display, while others may have an intuitive color LCD display. Additionally, the simplicity of use should be a major consideration, so ensure the unit you choose is easy to set up and has simple instructions.
iii. Type of material
The type of material or the nature of your weld has a significant effect on the multi-purpose welder you need to buy. For instance, when dealing with aluminum, you’ll need a machine with both AC and DC capability, so you might need to be more careful with your selection. When it comes to materials such as steel, most models are designed to weld handle steel and stainless with ease as long as you have the right consumables and settings.
Other than the type of material, the plate thickness is also going to determine the amperage range of the unit you need. For example, if you only need to weld thin sections, a machine that welds up to 140 amps is an ideal option instead of spending so much on a welder with a wide amperage range. The bottom line is that you need to identify the materials you work with most and buy a machine with excellent capabilities.
iv. Extra Costs
Multi process welder often comes with extra costs in the form of the accessories needed to operate the machine optimally and safely. These include various consumables for various welding processes, foot pedal for TIG welder, air compressor, among other accessories. You’ll also need to consider safety equipment such as welding helmet, gloves, masks, and other equipment that helps to prevent accidents from occurring when working.
v. The Portability Aspect
Often portability is a main consideration when you need a machine to carry from one place to another. This is especially important when you plan to take on a wide range of projects if you intend to move it around the workspace often. On the other hand, commercial and industrial welding does not involve a lot of movements, so heavier modes are just fine. However, you can invest in a welding cart to help you move from one place to another. You’ll also need to consider the working space so that you don’t buy a large unit if you are working in a limited space.
A Final Word
From the above reviews, it is clear that multi process welders come in handy in various situations from professionals involved in more than one welding process at once to those unsure of the welding process they’ll be involved in. They may indeed cost more, but they are worth the price considering their versatility. For users who want our recommendation for the best multi process welder, we suggest the Forney Easy Weld 140 MP multi process welder. This machine is a perfect mix of portability, speed controls, ease of switch between various processes, and it is the best in terms of durable construction. However, all the multi machines in our review will get the job done, so it all depends on the features you consider essential and your budget.