In today’s world, we depend on electricity to do almost everything. But what happens when you live in an area that is frequented by power outages? Do you put everything on hold simply because there is no power? This is where a back-up power comes in handy. While there are several alternatives, getting a dual fuel generator may be the best option.
While a single fuel generator runs on one fuel only, a dual fuel generator lets you take advantage of both gasoline and propane, depending on the availability. You can switch between the two fuels to extend the runtime. This interplay gives you the ultimate flexible power whenever and wherever you need it.
The best dual fuel generator saves you a lot of trouble whether you own a home, or when you want to go camping. It is an excellent option for those living in remote areas too. It offers you real mobility advantage, and it can run for up to 24 hours or more at 50% load without refueling.
The comparison table below will help you spot the key features and have the best dual fuel portable generator in just a few minutes.
Best Dual Fuel Generator Comparison Table 2022
It is not every time you can have gas and propane at your disposal. This is why you need a dual fuel generator to depend upon in times of need. Generators are great inventions that came to save us during times of hurricanes, typhoons and the likes. We believe that the information provided herein will help choose the best back-up generator to help you survive through blackouts.
How we picked the best dual fuel generators
In choosing the best dual fuel generator, we took time to read through tens of user reviews and conduct in-depth research of each generator. The leading indicators used for ranking included ease of setup, ease of switching between fuels, surge protection, and reliability. The survey yielded seven top-performing duel fuel generators from world-recognized brands.
If you aren’t sure what model is best for your needs, you can check our detailed reviews of each generator and the buying guide after that to help you find the best model you possibly can.
1. Westinghouse WGen7500DF Overall Best for 2022
WGen7500DF dual fuel has been engineered to power almost all of your essential appliances during an emergency. First of all, it is relatively easy to start. You can choose to use the remote control that comes with it, or you can use the electric switch to start the engine. Also, the dual fuel selector switch provides a quick way to shift from one fuel supply to another and back again with the engine running.
Westinghouse WGen7500DFKey Features and Benefits
- Push Button Electric Start: Starting Westinghouse WGen7500DF is simple as you only need to push a single button or use the remote start key to start your unit. It is fitted with a battery to enable the push-button start. The onboard battery charger port helps to keep the battery functional during storage, thus extending its lifespan. You only need to keep the battery charged so that your generator starts right away the moment you need it most.
- Transfer Switch Ready: WGen7500DF has two 120V twist-lock outlets (receptacles) that enable you to connect your generator to a home transfer switch. This permits you to plug as many tools and appliances directly into these receptacles. Also fitted in the unit is a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protection which helps to minimize the risk of electrocution, making it very durable and weather resistant. That said, this generator is one of the best marine generators.
- Intuitive Control Panel: WGen7500DF features an inbuilt control panel with conveniently placed controls, making it easy to operate. On the panel, you will find two USB ports that you can use to power USB devices like mobile phones. You will also find a digital display that keeps you informed about the engine runtime, voltage, and hertz. With this, you can determine the right time for routine maintenance, thus ensuring durability.
- Large Fuel Tank: WGen7500DF comes with a fuel efficient 6.6-gallon steel tank that runs for 11 hours at half load. The tank is fitted with a fuel gauge, which makes it easy for you to see the fuel level while the generator is running. It is also an important safety measure as, without it, you will have to keep on opening the fuel cap now and then to see the fuel level.
- It has a large fuel tank.
- High wattage for both fuels.
- Remote and electric start.
- It comes with wheels and frame for maneuvering around.
- It is durable, and it requires less maintenance.
- Quite loud
- It is relatively heavy, but the included wheels allow for easy transportation.
Westinghouse WGen7500DF is a unit with which you have it all. It is sturdy, easy to assemble and start with recoil, electric and remote starting systems. It includes other user-friendly features and a variety of outlets, which is why it qualifies to be on the first spot.
You should check out this model if you are looking for the best portable dual fuel generator.
2. Champion 3400-Watt
Versatility and convenience are the perfect terms that can be used to describe this Champion dual fuel power equipment. The most impressive thing about this unit is that it utilizes inverter technology. This concept makes the generator work in a manner that it can control its electrical load and at the same time, it allows you to use less fuel. Also, it offers an ultra-quiet operation, which helps to extend the lifespan of the engine.
Champion 3400-Watt Key Features and Benefits
- Champion’s Inverter Technology: As mentioned earlier, Champion 3400-Watt has an impressive inverter technology which enables you to connect your generator with another inverter generator. This technology will come in handy when you need extra power without having to replace your existing generator. This technology also encompasses a smart economy mode which works in a way that it controls the electrical load applied on the generator, providing extended engine life.
- Enhanced Portability: When it comes to portability, this inverter generator comes with a furnished frame and wheels kit for moving the generator around. The frame features a foldable handle, which is very useful when you have to lift the unit and also during storage. This design is especially important when you have to use your generator on a campsite or when you don’t want to drag it across uneven surfaces.
- Ultra Quiet Operation: One of the most impressive thing about Champion 3400-Watt is its quiet operation. At just 59 dB, this generator is one of the most modest units out there, making it an ideal for anyone who doesn’t want the noise to affect their daily life. It is the best option for camping or use in close quarters. That said, this generator is a combination of flexibility and suitability during times of need.
- Convenient Electric Start: Champion 3400-Watt comes with a push-button electric start which includes a battery charge for maintenance. It also includes the cold start technology, which ensures a quick start even in cold weather. This technology makes the generator produce clean power with a THD (total harmonic distortion) that is less than 3%. This implies that the power does not have too many fluctuations, and you can use it on sensitive electronics.
- Inverter generator with stable power output.
- Small and extremely quiet.
- Firm handles for lifting.
- Several outlets for power flexibility.
- It has a low oil shut-off sensor.
- The wheels are too small.
- It tends to overload.
Our Verdict: Champion 3400-Watt is a dependable, quiet portable inverter generator that is ready to use straight out of the box. It features several outlet sockets, and it is incredibly easy to start, which makes it worth the price.
Champion 3400-Watt is a great generator to count on when the lights go out. Buy one on Amazon.
3. Rainier R12000DF
The portable Rainier R12000DFis a source of reliable power for your home or job site thanks to its heavy-duty 457cc engine. It has an intuitive control panel that has incorporated a VFT display which shows the voltage, frequency and running time. This display also allows you to know when it’s time to refuel or service your generator. It is truly an excellent unit for your air conditioner, kitchen appliances, and other electronics.
Rainier R12000DF Key Features and Benefits
- Strong and Powerful Engine: R12000DF has a sturdy and powerful OHV-stroke engine, which features an automatic low-oil shut down switch which will turn your unit off when the oil level goes below the recommended level. Also, it comes with a fuel gauge that enables you to see the oil level. Besides, it has an overload protection alarm and a VTF data center for precise operation.
- Starting is Easy: You should be able to start your generator through a quick toggle of a switch. R12000DF features an easy-to-use electric switch which saves you the trouble of having to pull the recoil start to get the engine up and running. Additionally, at just 72dB, this unit has a relatively quiet operation, and it is EPA and CARB compliant.
- Ready for Home: R12000DFcomes with NEMA 120/240V 30A L14-30R transfer switch; all you need to do is to plug your generator into your home transfer switch to keep your house running with uninterrupted power supply. Also, you can move it around whenever a need arises thanks to the onboard durable 10-inch wheels and two foam grip handles.
- Dual Fuel Capability: Rainier R12000DF can operate on either gasoline or propane, allowing you to plug in plenty of appliances without worrying about overloading the circuit. Besides, it has an easily accessible and full control panel with plenty of outlets. You can depend on this robust workhorse to power your sump pump, power tools, and other appliances at once.
- It has an easily accessible control panel.
- Solid and powerful engine.
- Overload protection alarm.
- Automatic low-oil shut-down.
- Convenient one-touch electric touch.
- It does not come with the 12V DC port.
- High noise level.
Our Verdict: Rainier R12000DF packs all you could wish for in a generator of its capacity. It allows you to use your preferred fuel type while providing enough power for business and domestic purposes. Besides, it has several outlets enabling you to connect several appliances at a go.
Keep your life up and running with Rainier R12000DF.
4. All Power America 10000 Wat
All Power America 10000 Watt is a cost-effective generator that is ready to operate on either propane or gasoline right from the box. It has a continuous 7500W power supply with propane and 8000W with gas. It is powered by a reliable 420cc engines and runs 11 hours at half load. The unit includes a battery, wheel kit and hour meter for convenience.
All Power America 10000 Watt Key Features and Benefits
- Plenty of Outlets: All Power America features four traditional 120V outlets, a single 12V DC outlet, and one 120/120V twist lock outlet. This will enable you to use plenty of appliances and power tools that you may need. Also, it is compatible with many technologies to make sure that your generator will function properly during an emergency or whenever you need it. It is also EPA, and CETL certified to keep you safe during operation.
- Impressive Amount of Power: The All Power America APGG10000 is powered by a durable 420cc Ducar engine that enables it to put out an impressive 10000 watts peak power and 8000 watts rated power while on gasoline. This is enough power to keep your water pump, microwave, and heater running when power outages occur. It also comes with an 8-gallon tank enabling it to provide an 11 hours runtime at 50% load to influence your home.
- Great Features for Convenience: This unit has a full control panel which has essential features such as a voltmeter. Voltmeter allows you to determine the amount of power that is exerted onto your appliances. This feature helps to prevent overloading the unit by automatically going off if too much power is used. Another feature included on the panel is the hour meter. This feature displays the number of hours, which helps you in determining when you need to service your unit.
- Quiet and Safe Operation: The All Power America APGG10000 operates at 74 decibels, which is relatively quiet, making it appropriate for residential use. In addition, this generator made with safety in mind, and the low-oil shut-down sensor is evidence of this. When the oil level goes below the recommended level, the engine shuts off, thus preventing any potential damage or accidents. It also ensures that you don’t have to keep on checking the oil level now and then.
- Folding wheels and handle.
- It is EPA compliant.
- Overload protection to ensure that you are safe.
- It is fuel-efficient.
- Plenty of outlets for various appliances.
- Low running wattage as compared to competitors.
- Small fuel tank.
- Propane hose is not as durable.
Our Verdict: All Power America is the best home generator for back-up power in the most fuel-efficient way. It is compatible with several technologies allowing you to use it wherever, in case of an emergency or power outage.
Keep all your appliances running during a power outage with All Power America 10000Watt.
5. Duromax XP4850EH
The XP4850EH generator has a 7HP, air-cooled engine which features a low-oil sensor that shuts off the engine automatically, to preserve the motor. It is designed with the capability of running on gasoline or propane fuels. Also, the 196cc engine delivers up to 4850 peak watts and 3850 running watts which is sufficient power for primary home power and RV use.
Key Features and Benefits of Duromax XP4850EH
- Powerful Duromax Engine: Duromax XP4850EH has a powerful 7HP engine with an inbuilt cooling system. The engine sits on a durable frame with a set of wheels for portability. It also has motor mounts on each corner, which helps in noise reduction while the unit is running. The unit comes with installation hardware and the only assembly required is for frame and wheel kit to get your generator running.
- Maximum Power: XP4850EH is engineered with DuroMax MX2 technology which enables you to get maximum power from all receptacles. You can either choose to operate your generator at 120 V on full power or both 120 V and 240 V concurrently. Besides, with 4850 rated watts and 3850 continuous watts, this generator is built to provide more power as it can handle heavy loads from home appliances to high amperage power tools.
- Dual Fuel Technology: The ability to operate on gasoline or propane gives you the flexibility of fuel choices. While gasoline is readily available, liquid propane is less expensive, cleaner and, lasts longer. You can switch between the options with the flip of a switch. Also, there is a fuel gauge and a low oil sensor that will automatically shut-down the motor when a low oil level is detected. This will help to extend the life of your generator.
- Easy to Start: The unit features both electric and recoil start mechanisms for spontaneous ignition in all weather conditions. It also comes with a mobility kit for easy maneuverability. In the kit, you will find solid fill tires that will never run flat regardless of the terrain. It also includes raised handles with soft grips to ensure that moving your generator from one point to another will be smooth.
- Low oil indicator and automatic shutoff prolong the unit’s lifespan.
- Highly versatile for multiple situations.
- It features a 12V outlet which enables you to charge your car battery.
- Convenient power panel with a voltmeter.
- It runs on either gasoline or liquid propane.
- Low power than similar models.
- It doesn’t have both 12V and 240V DC outlets.
- Relatively loud, especially during heavy load.
Our Verdict: Duromax XP4850EH is one of the best dual fuel generators out there for the price. It is a very powerful, well-built unit that occupies small space and it is fairly easy to move around on its wheel kit. It gives you the convenience of keeping propane tanks on standby in the event of an emergency.
XP4850EH is a reliable portable generator that works just at the press of a button.
6. Pulsar G10KBN
Pulsar G10KBN is a sturdy unit that is capable of producing an impressive 10000 watts starting power and 8000 running watts. With a 6.6 gallons fuel tank, this generator gives you a reliable runtime of 12 hours at 50% load. Besides, switching between propane and gasoline allows you to run it for up to 24 hours before refueling. In addition, the digital meter will enable you to keep an eye on fuel levels.
Pulsar G10KBN Key Features and Benefits
- High Power: Pulsar G10KBN is a beast when it comes to power provision. The unit is capable of delivering 10000 peak watts and 8000 rated watts when using gasoline. When using propane, on the other hand, it has 9000 peak watts and 7000 rated watts. Regardless of the type of fuel you choose, this workhorse will get the job done. This power is delivered by the powerful 420cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine.
- Gas Consumption & Capacity: The 8-gallon fuel tank is the main selling point of this unit, enabling it to deliver up to 12 hours of operation while on half load. The fact that it can operate with two fuels means that it can run for a much longer period before refueling. Switching between the fuels is straightforward, and it can even be done while the generator is still running. When it comes to ignition, it is done using a simple electric push button or a recoil starter if need be.
- Monitoring and Controls: On board, we have an automatic voltage regulator, low oil shut-off and a 3-in-1 screen designed to prolong the unit’s life and enhance user experience. The voltage regulator module controls voltage levels, thus allowing you to plug more sensitive devices. The auto shutoff, on the other hand, comes in handy in ensuring that damages do not occur as a result of low oil levels.
- Portability: When it comes to portability, the wheel kit is straightforward and user-friendly. The generator has drop-down handles and 10-inch never-flat wheels that enable natural movements and convenient storage. The wheel system is built upon durable steel to ensure that the unit is sturdy. When it comes to outlets, this unit has several outlets to keep all your devices running.
- Includes a 240V outlet.
- Runs for up to 11 hours on a standard propane tank.
- It is equipped with electric push start technology.
- You can switch between two fuel types even when the generator is running.
- Large fuel tank allows it to last longer.
- Very loud unit.
- It is a bit heavy to move from one location to another.
- Slightly pricy.
Our Verdict: With Pulsar G10KBN, you should be fully ready to hit the road with your RV stress-free. It is also a perfect unit for your garage, basement, or for using on a remote worksite, though, you need to be cautious of the noise levels.
G10KBN is indeed a versatile generator that is capable of satisfying most needs.
7. Sportsman GEN4000DF
Sportsman GEN4000DF has been designed to provide sufficient power regardless of the fuel type, and without being overly noisy. It runs on either the clean burning and long lasting propane gas or the familiar unleaded gasoline. It is also equipped with both an electric start and a recoil starter to get the unit up and running quickly. Also, it has an easy and smooth assembly, which is what you want for camping or emergencies.
Sportsman GEN4000DF Key Features and Benefits
- Reliable Power: GEN4000DF is capable of delivering 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts, which is enough for your household back-up, a small RV, and even some small power tools. Besides, the control panel is installed with a voltmeter to help adjust the voltage for specific needs. This means that this unit can be used to power sensitive devices such as laptops and mobile phones.
- Inbuilt Safety Systems: Sportsman GEN4000DF has plenty of inbuilt safety systems making it one of the safest options out there. It has a circuit breaker which helps to protect it from power surges. It also features a low-oil shut-down to protect it from overheating. Last but not least it is EPA approved which means that it will run clean even when operating at full load.
- Plenty of Outlets: This dual fuel generator comes with a single 120 V outlet for RV, four 120-volt outlets for various appliances, and a 12-volt DC outlet for charging the battery. It also comes with 5-foot propane fuel hose and a regulator which helps to protect booth the generator and your appliances. The small size does not limit the amount of power, and the good thing is that it is water resistant making it one of the best marine generators.
- Fuel Efficiency: Besides the dual fuel capability, this unit boasts of an impressive ability to run for up to 10 hours at half load on a full tank. You can further run for a lengthier period by switching between the fuels though it does not respond to natural gas. Propane tends burning slower as such; this machine can run for 12 hours at half load with propane.
- Easy switch between fuel types.
- It is relatively quiet.
- One of the most affordable generators in our review.
- The dual design allows you to use either gasoline or LP gas.
- User-friendly operating panel.
- It does not respond to natural gas.
- No wheels for moving around.
- It lacks essential features such as fuel and oil indicators.
Our Verdict: Sportsman GEN4000DF does not disappoint when it comes to performance and flexibility. It is a great asset for small houses and RVs owner, and the good thing is that it can be used in any climate. As such, life is more or less a straightforward one with GEN4000DF.
GEN4000DF is a perfect dual fuel generator under $ 500, especially when you do not require as much power.
Dual Fuel Generator Selection Guide
Now that we have introduced you to the seven best dual fuel generators, how do you go about choosing the right one for your needs? This buying guide is going to summarize some important factors to consider before you choose a dual fuel generator.
i. Your power needs
The kind of generator you want is going to be determined by the amount of power that you need. Check your appliance and decide what kind of dual generator is going to fit you. If you only have some essential tools, then probably you don’t need a lot of power. You will, however, need a high-power generator if you intend to use your generator for your entire household power needs.
Portability is an important consideration, especially if you intend to use your generator for outdoor events. Some generators will have integrated mobility kits while in others, they come as accessories meaning you have to mount them later on. Check their functionality to ensure that they are sturdy enough to handle the weight and that they can work on all terrains. The handles should have soft grips for comfort and easier storage.
iii. Noise Level
Noise and sound, in general, is measured in a unit called decibels (dB). The higher the number, the louder the unit is. Generators are generally noisy machines, but some models operate at a much quieter level. A dual fuel generator with 60 dB or below is considered to be a perfect choice for campers or use in close quarters.
iv. Ignition Types
Duel fuel generators will have different starting systems for both gasoline and propane. For gasoline, most models have an old recoil system, but some are ignited electrically. Propane, on the other hand, is always ignited electrically with a turn of a key. So when a calamity comes knocking, all you have to do is to choose the fuel that you prefer or that is available and ignite the system.
v. Monitors and Indicators
It is crucial for any generator to provide the correct information about oils levels, fuel levels, and the overall status of the unit. Most dual fuel generators have integrated various monitoring styles, which includes LED screens and indicator lights. The indicator lights help to monitor engine oil level, engine overload, and generator readiness all at once.
LED screens, on the other hand, will do the same thing but will do so more precisely. Also, they will display the number of work hours, which will help you decide when to carry out detailed maintenance.
vi. Safety considerations
Since this is basically a personal mini electric power station, you will want to be sure that several safety systems have been put in place before you use your generator. A good model should have overheating protection, overload protection, and a low oil shutoff mechanism. All these systems will keep you safe and keep your generator running smoothly.
Dual fuel generators have been the favorite portable generators for a reason. They save you in many unforeseen situations, making them a great invention of all times. They are value packs, convenient, durable, and change your life for the better. Also, these generators can be a long term investment for your home or RVs.
The fact that they are both gas powered and propane powered generators makes them very adaptable and flexible. They are also portable, providing the fastest way to get back into action in the event of a power outage. You only need to wheel it out, power it, and you have got an alternate power source.
There you have it! Great insights on the best dual fuel generators. This is a valuable investment, so take your time to consider all factors before deciding on the dual generator that matches your requirements.