Mower blades are one of the most prominent parts of a lawn mower as they are the part that does the actual cutting. The blades need to be in perfect condition to help you cut the grass cleanly and efficiently and also to help you reduce maintenance costs. Also, it is important to get mower blades that fit not only your lawn mower but also one that will meet the requirements of your lawn.
The best mower blades need to be sharp and sturdy enough to avoid damaging the edges of your grass. Some mower blades are designed just to cut the grass and leave the grass clipping on the lawn while others are designed for grinding them into mulch that sinks into the turf and decompose. Also, some will give you the option of gathering the clippings in a collection bag. So whatever the method you choose, you need to ensure you have the right blade for the job.
Best Lawn Mower Blades Comparison Table
Getting the right mower for your lawn isn’t enough; you’ll need to choose the best lawn mower blade for the job at hand. However, specific manufacturers usually indicate and recommend the right type of blades that will fit your lawn mower. While we are reviewing replacement lawn mowers in this guide, you can still sharpen your old blades until they wear too thin and must be replaced. You can also buy an extra set on hand so that you can swap when needed.
1. Maxpower 561713XB
Maxpower lawn mower blades boast of universal compatibility, and the 561713XB is no exception. This blade works with famous brands, including Husqvarna, Poulan, and Craftsman. It can also be fitted on other brands as long as they have the same measurements. This blade can handle rugged and thick grass, and it is also its durability is uncontended. However, they are shipped dull, so you need to sharpen them by yourself.
Features and Benefits of Maxpower 561713XB
- 2-Blade commercial mulching blade: The set comprises of two mulching blades, and they are often used for industrial mulching or even extensive residential mowing. The Maxpower 561713XB can also be used as high lift blades with a disposal bag, and they are perfect for mowing thick grass. The blades are 21-inch in length, offering a total cutting area of 42 inches, which is ideal for most landscapers.
- Quiet operation: If you are working in a noise controlled environment, you don’t have to worry about causing a disturbance as these blades produce fewer vibrations, and they are quiet during operation. Another plus is that these blades are sufficiently sharp and ready to use right out of the box, lasts longer, and delivers quality performance.
- Straight forward installation: These blades can be fitted on a variety of lawn mowers, and installation is effortless. The blades have one 5 point hole at the center for installation, and they can be fitted on any mower as long as they have similar measurements. Another good thing about these blades is that you will only need to sharpen them twice annually to maintain peak performance.
- Serrated design: In addition to universal compatibility, the blades’ serrated design provides more mulching power making them perfect for replacing your old set of high-lift blades for improved lawn care. This design and the blades’ thickness also allow them to go through thick turf, obstacles, and to even out the ground. However, due to the scope of operation, they require high maintenance.
- Universal blades as they can work with a variety of brands.
- You will like the fact that these blades do not produce a lot of noise.
- Minimal vibrations.
- They handle obstacles efficiently.
- Well-made and studier than most blades.
- They can easily be nicked.
- They may require high maintenance due to their intensified performance.
Overall, the 561713XB is an all-round lawn mower blade that offers the highest amount of mowing and mulching power. Also, this blade is pretty standard with regard to their shape and design, which makes things easier for homeowners.
2. EGO Power+ AB2101 21-Inch
The EGO 21″Lawn Mower is a high-lift blade designed to ensure more efficient bagging of the grass clippings. This standard blade is compatible with most Ego Power+ mower, and it provides a quality cut. Also, the blade comes pre-sharpened, allowing you to get back to work soon after you replace your blades, thus allowing you to maximize your time.
Features and Benefits of EGO Power+ AB2101 21-Inch
- Designed for EGO POWER+ lawn mowers: The EGO 21″Lawn Mower High Lift Blade is designed for use on EGO POWER+ 21″ Lawnmowers and is specially designed to enhance bagging efficiency. It is a genuine EGO part to ensure compatibility and quality. The high-lift design collects the grass trimming efficiently and does a great job of not letting anything slip away, as is the case with lesser quality blades.
- Extra clean cutting: With no sharpening required before use, this blade delivers a clean cut to promote a healthy lawn and maximized mowing efficiency no matter the type of grass or weed you are working on. However, the factory sharpened steel blade needs to be sharpened from time to time to provide excellent performance, and it is not recommended for mulching.
- High-quality stainless steel: The blade is made of very high-quality stainless steel to ensure it will not corrode even when cutting wet grass. The blade is, however, expensive for a single blade, but it is worth every penny if you want something heavy-duty and long-lasting to make short work of your yard’s overgrowth.
- Standard 21″ blade: EGO Power+ AB2101 is a standard 21-inch blade, designed to tackle uneven yards and really tall grass and to provide more surface area compatible with your EGO+ lawn mowers. The long blade is a defining characteristic for high powered mowers that gathers lots of grass into collection bags. The long blade also makes it an excellent choice for heavy-duty machines.
- Made from very high-quality steel
- This blade comes pre-sharpened.
- Delivers extra clean cutting.
- Works with a wide range of lawn mowers.
- Efficient high lift blades design.
- It is somewhat expensive for a single blade.
- It is not ideal for use with a mulching plug.
Featuring a high-lift design, the EGO Power+ AB2101 provides excellent performance regardless of the type of grass or weed you need to mow. It also works great on thick and tall, and for this reason, it is an excellent choice for heavy commercial lawn mowers and residential mowers alike.
3. Longer Life Gator Fusion G5
Longer Life Gator Fusion G5 secured a position in our review because of its quality build and precise cutting. The 3-in-1 mulching blades can be used to replace MTD Blades 742-0616, 942-0616, 742-04126 942-04312, and also on some 42″ Decks including MDF, Wards, White, Troy Bilt, and Yard Man. However, these blades fit on 6 point mounts only.
Features and Benefits of Longer Life Gator Fusion G5
- Infused layer of Tungsten Carbide: Gator Fusion G5 cutting edges are fused with wear-resistant Tungsten Carbide for longer life, just as its name suggests. Tungsten carbide also helps to reduce the loss of sharpness over time. These blades are also austempered (heat-treated), which means they have an additional 20% harder steel making them much stronger and heavier than OEM blades.
- Dual-function as mulcher and high lift: Each blade is 21-3/16″ long, 3″ wide, 164″ thick, a size that makes them suitable for various mulching mowers. When functioning as a mulcher, the blade is kept at an angle that ensures that the clippings always remain in front of the cutting edge, resulting in fine cutting. They can also be used as high-lift blades but don’t respond well when faced with wet grass and obstacles.
- Universal six-pointed star mounts: The mounting is a 6 point hole that allows for fast and easy installation. Once installed, nuts, branches, or roots will not damage or affect it in any way. Also, the cutting performance of these blades is top quality and results in energy and time savings. These blades will, however, not go over 5 pointed mounts or circular mounts.
- Good curvature: The blades will cut nicely end evenly on the first pass, blowing the grass clippings out of the deck without bogging or clogging up. Besides, they have a good curvature for immediate and constant results in the entire yard. Moreover, the reinforcement over each blade is highly effective and requires very minimal maintenance. Also, you don’t need to sharpen them as often as other blades.
- For the price, they do a great job when it comes to cutting.
- The mulching design works great.
- They are heavy duty and a little thicker than other blades.
- They have a reinforced cutting edge to enable you to cut grass into small pieces.
- They are made of high-quality steel to ensure that they don’t bend easily.
- You’ll need to sharpen these blades before use.
- The grass needs to be dry for it to work well.
Longer Life Gator Fusion G5 remains balanced and undamaged during cutting, and its design enables it to mulch in a much better way. Besides, their size is a perfect choice for various mulching mowers.
4. 8TEN LawnRAZOR
8TEN LawnRAZOR is a high-quality mower blade than most you find, and it is compatible with the following brands: Craftsman, Husqvarna, Poulan, Ariens, Snapper, Sears, Redmax, Poulan Pro, and gravely. The blade is made of heavy steel and with high-quality control standards, proving that not all blades are made equal.
Features and Benefits of 8TEN LawnRAZOR
- Excellent all-in-one blade: 8TEN LawnRAZOR provides the versatility to handle any condition. The blade is great for mulching, bagging, and other discharge applications, including commercial-grade mulching jobs. In addition, its 5 point star hole will fit spindles of most conventional lawn mowers, and it has a simple design that will make installation straightforward and fast.
- Designed to meet OEM Specifications: Just like other LawnRAZOR blades, 8TEN is made high quality and hardened steel so that it can stand up against the harshest conditions. It is also designed with the Green Corrosion Preventative Premium Powder Coat to protect the blade and to give it an attractive finishing. It is lightweight with a unique configuration that makes perfect for chopping both grass and leaves.
- Result in a clean cut: LawnRAZOR produces universal blades that fit on several lawn mower models, and the 8TEN could save you money over OEM parts. The blade results in a clean and even cut and will endure sharpening several times before they need to be replaced. Apart from that, they offer a great price tag more so due to their impressive quality.
- Improved cutting capability & consistency: The long blade provides a larger surface area for enhanced cutting capability and consistent performance. It also enables you to increase your speed so that you can cover a large area of your yard as fast as possible and without compromising the quality of the cut.
- Installation is simple, with an impact wrench.
- This blade cut grass evenly and smoothly even when installed on an old lawn mower.
- The blade is sturdy and well- made for durability.
- Very affordable and it is as good as those double the price.
- The blades are well balanced.
- May be shipped dull
- They do not lift as other blades in the same class.
With 8TEN LawnRAZOR, a better cut is always possible. The blade combines attention to detail and high-quality control standards to provide you with a product that is cut above the rest.
5. Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″
The Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″ comprises a set of two blades, and they are ideal for heavy-duty lawn mowers for extensive residential or commercial applications. They are used as high-lift blades allowing you to cut thick and fast-growing grass, but they are not ideal for mulching. Besides, they are made of stainless steel to provide a corrosion-free and excellent performance during the mowing season.
Features and Benefits of Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″
- Two blades for 46″ Cut: Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″ is a set of two blades each measuring 23″ long by 2-3/4″ wide with a 5 point center hole. The blades can be installed in almost all 46-inch cut lawn mowers, including Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman. However, these blades are not for mulching; instead, you can use them as high-lift blades with a bagger.
- Consistent performance: These blades will become your buddy when it comes to bagging the grass clippings. They are designed to increase the airflow required, and they are often used to either discharge or bag the grass clippings. They also perform quietly with minimal vibrations, thus making them an excellent accessory for operation in noise controlled spaces.
- Lightweight yet very durable: Weighing a little above 4lbs, the Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″ blades are designed to be lightweight yet long lasting, and they are made to meet or exceed OEM specifications. Besides, they can handle very rugged and thick grass, making them the best lawn mower blades for heavy-duty or light-duty applications no matter how far you’ve let your lawn go.
- Easy and to sharpen and maintain: Although the blades are not sharp on arrival, they are easy to sharpen, and they deliver smooth cuts with maximum efficiency, thus enabling you to cover your lawn neatly and quickly. And despite their high performance, these blades require less maintenance, and they are up to any task of cutting it down, and they perform exceedingly well according to their purpose.
- They are versatile as they work with Craftsman, Husqvarna, and Poulan.
- They can be used as high-lift blades.
- They provide a quiet performance and reduced vibrations.
- They offer extended and consistent performance.
- They are the best in bagging the grass clipping.
- Not for mulching.
- The blades are often not pre-sharpened.
The Maxpower 561739B 561739 46″ makes a perfect replacement for lawn mowers designed to work in quiet neighborhoods. The blade performs exceedingly well, and it only calls for regular sharpening to maintain quality performance.
6. Honda 72531-VH7-000
The 72531-VH7-000 from Honda comes in a set of two blades, and it works with only one company brand; the Honda HRX217. The blades are 20 ¾ inches long, and it is always a good idea to sharpen them before use. Another good thing with this blade is that it does not chip easily, providing you with high performance and high durability for your regular mowing use.
Features and Benefits of Honda 72531-VH7-000
- Made for use in HRX217 Mowers: The 20.75 inches long blades are specifically made to fit the Honda HRX217 mowers. This limited application makes it useful to certain users only. However, this is the best option for any user of the above model, offering a perfect fit, high performance, and high level of durability. It works ideally for this model, and it does not hiccup as even during extended use.
- Medium to high-lift blades: These blades double up as both medium and high-lift blades, and they can toss grass clippings smartly into the bagger. Also, they can go through thick grass and weeds without clogging the blades, and they result in very few vibrations. The blades cut well and leave no shredded tips on the grass, and they mulch completely.
- Double-sided blade: This set comes with two blades so that you can replace both the upper and lower blades, thus ensuring that your machine maintains a peak performance at all times. However, installation is not straightforward, and it may take longer to get these blades on your mower. But once installed, the twin blades produce an even cut and great clippings for excellent mulching and bagging.
- Highly authentic and durable: The Honda 72531-VH7-000 is a genuine OEM Honda part, a replica of the blades that come with HRX217 lawn mowers. Not only that, Honda is known for its apex quality, and this product does have a great design and structure in its attractive subtle black finish. Also, you don’t need to worry about the reliability of this product, as it is designed to be durable and long-lasting.
- Works well with thick grass.
- Two blades set, the upper and the lower one.
- It does not chip easily.
- They work as medium to high-lift blades.
- It works effortlessly and produces fewer vibrations.
- Installation can be challenging and tedious.
- It only fit Honda HRX217Mowers.
- You’ll need to sharpen the blades by yourself as they arrive dull.
The Honda 72531 VH7 000 blade set is the official Honda HRX217lawn mower replacement blades, and it will do great justice to your machine. They are made in such a way that you can cleanly cut over your lawn and, at the same time ensuring that your machine maintains a peak performance.
7. Toro 22″
If you own a large Toro mower, the Toro recycler 22″ blade is a valuable replacement that is worth considering. This blade is designed to fit Toro lawn mowers, and it is usually longer than the most available models. The blade arrives pre-sharpened, and it is strong enough to ensure high performance and efficiency when mounted on your lawn mower.
Features and Benefits of Toro 22″
- Mulcher blade design: Toro 22″ has a pair of two teeth on either edge to help ensure tiny cuttings over your lawn. The teeth make it a perfect mulching replacement, and it can work even on thick grass or tough weeds by turning them into fertilizer for your yard. Besides, it is affordable, and this is more than enough reason why you may want to choose this heavy-duty machine that is going to shape your yard without much trouble.
- Long blade: The blade is 22 inches long, which is longer than most available models, and it can be used on medium to large-sized Toro mowers. The longer blade increases the cutting area of your lawn mower. Also, it is a strong blade that will ensure efficient mow and high performance in your backyard.
- Narrow cutting edge: This blade has a narrow cutting edge, and id does a great job of cutting through hard and thicker grass. However, in terms of sharpness, the edges tend to wear out more often, and as such, you’ll need to sharpen it regularly with your metal file or a grinder. The blade also has three mounting holes to enable you to customize the performance you get from the blade.
- Strong, steel construction: Toro 22″ is made of high-quality and long-lasting steel with a dark paint finish, which helps to prevent it from corroding or accruing damages. This might make cleaning a little tasking, but it is quite durable, and it is a great option if you don’t like replacing your blades very often. It is also lightweight, meaning it won’t add too much weight to your lawn mower.
- Long blade with a narrow cutting edge.
- Mulching blade design that can be used to mulch even thicker grass.
- Three mounting holes for easy installation.
- Two-pairs of teeth on either end a perfect mulching blade.
- It is lightweight, yet very durable.
- The blade is sharp on arrival.
- Specially made for Toro lawn mowers, although it can fit in other brands as long as the centre hole and the size match.
- You’ll need to sharpen the blade regularly since the edges tend to wear down pretty fast.
The Toro 22″ is sharp on arrival, and it does its job of cutting grass into tiny bits. It will also go through almost anything that on the way, and it is one of the best lawn mower blades for thick grass you can have around.
8. Husqvarna HU21462
These are high-lift blades designed to ensure optimum bagging and other discharge applications. The Husqvarna HU21462 comes in a bright orange color to give a good first impression. Moreover, it comes in a set of two blades for your convenience and added durability. You can use these blades on your riding lawn mower or garden tractors.
Features and Benefits Husqvarna HU21462
- A set of two blades: Husqvarna HU21462 is a set of two blades, meaning you can save more with your next purchase. The blades are also made of steel, making them more durable and last longer even with constant use. The blades have 5 point star center hole, remain sharp for long, and they don’t require much maintenance.
- High-lift blades for bagging applications: They come in a bright orange color made explicitly for bagging grass clippings and other discharge applications. The blades will cut your grass cleanly and keep your lawn green for a long time, and the good thing is they will last for months or even years before you replace them.
- Compatible with 46 inches Husqvarna Tractor decks: The HU21462 is one of the best lawn mower blades for Husqvarna, and these high lift blades are designed to fit 46″ Husqvarna Tractor Decks. Each blade measures 23″ long, 2″ thick and 7″ wide, making them an ideal choice, especially if you are into large gardens. The long blades will trim your yards quickly and can be challenging to handle in tight quarters.
- Used with garden tractors and riding lawn mowers: The size of these blades makes them perfect for use with your garden tractor and riding lawn mowers. A riding mower needs two to three blades, depending on how big the mower is. These blades are big and strong and can do more in less time, and they are an ideal choice if you’re into commercial applications. However, they are not compatible with zero-turn mowers.
- It is a set of two high-lift blades.
- Once sharpened, they remain sharp for an extended period.
- It is perfect for 46” Husqvarna Tractor decks.
- It does not require special maintenance even after several uses.
- It has the capability to side discharge and bad grass clippings efficiently.
- They may not come pre-sharpened.
- It might bend instantly if it hits an obstacle.
- Not made for use on zero-turn mowers.
If you are looking for a combination of aesthetics and power, then the Husqvarna HU21462 is for you. Moreover, it is made of high-quality materials; thus, it will remain sharp for long and serve for an extended period.
9. Oregon G3
Oregon G3 gator blades come in a set of three blades to provide you with a standard cutting experience. Gator blades are great for mulching, and this ensures that you have a more fertilized and healthier lawn. These blades have a 5 point star hole for easy installation, and in addition, they are perfect for all weather conditions whether the grass is dry or wet.
Features and Benefits of Oregon G3
- Austemper heat treated: The Oregon G3 is austemper heat-treated, which means it contains 20% harder steel than other blades for extended life. It feels strong right from the box, and it an excellent mulching tool. In addition, they are hardened with steel to help minimize the likelihood of bending or breaking during cutting and so there is no doubt about the durability of this product.
- The gator mulcher blades unique design: The gator teeth’ unique design has revolutionized the way the blade mulch or bags the grass clippings. The module is effective in lifting grass, thus exposing it to the extended cutting edge. Also, the teeth are positioned in an angle that ensures that the clippings remain in front of the cutting edges, thus ensuring fine cutting requiring less raking.
- State of the art fusion technology: Oregon G3 blades use the Fusion technology, which helps to increase the sharpness of the blade by more than 30%. These blades are also designed with a progressive geometry to help ensure a clean cut demonstrating what Oregon G3 is supposed to do. It is also your go-to blade in all weather conditions, including wet and dry turf.
- Increased thickness: Some of the characteristics of a good mulcher are an extended blade length, increased thickness, and sharpness. Each blade is 18-1/2″ long, 2.5″ wide, and 187″ thick with a 5 point star hole. The extended blade thickness help to re-trim grass clippings several times before they are discharged, thus ensuring high-level performance.
- With Oregon G3, you will have a set of three blades for your replacements.
- It is perfect for 54 inches decks.
- It is also excellent for mulching.
- The blades are heat-treated for added durability.
- These blades are heavy-duty though they might bend when they hit a stump.
- It is sometimes challenging to position the blades for optimal mulching.
- The curved profile might be challenging to sharpen.
Oregon G3 represents a very economical replacement that will keep your machine up and running whenever needed. You will get the blades in a set of three, which is enough to give your grass a healthier look.
10. USA Mower Blades AYP340BP
This is yet another universal blade that is compatible with a couple of mower models, including Husqvarna and Craftsman. The blade is standard in size, sharp, and can be used both as a mulcher and a high-lift blade. It is well-built and highly durable, and it can be used for both heavy and light applications. However, it is not suitable for uneven grounds and handling obstacles.
Features and Benefits of USA Mower Blades AYP340BP
- Universal compatibility: Just like Maxpower blades, USA Mower Blades AYP340BP is compatible with many lawnmowers, including Craftsman and Husqvarna, among others. The blade can also be used as a high-lift blade to bag grass clippings or to mulch your yard if you so desire. However, ensure that the measurements and part number match the original part before your fit on your mower.
- Curved profile: The blade features a curved design that helps to provide a large surface area for a clean cut and mulching clippings and leaves. The blade can fit in most mowers that can accommodate this design, and it has a 5 point star that facilitates easy installation and blade removal. The blade is also already sharpened and properly balanced, and they are perfect both heavy-duty and light-duty jobs.
- Airflow pattern: Like other high-lift blades, these blades are designed with an improved airflow pattern that helps to propel grass clippings to the mower bag. The high lift design also helps to prevent clogging when cutting tall and dense grass and also leaves your lawn clean. Also, it comes with an inbuilt bag for the grass clippings.
- Standard size: The blade measures 21″ long, 2 ¼” wide and 0.140″ thick, usually designed for use on a 42″ deck. Also, the blades are sharp and firmly attached to the mower to ensure efficient cutting. However, these blades should not be used on uneven ground or where there are obstacles as they can bend easily, thus missing out on most of the grass.
- It is designed for both big and small jobs.
- They are also universal blades.
- They are easy to install.
- They can be used as both high-lift blades as well as mulch blades.
- The curved profile provides a large cutting surface area.
- It cannot work on uneven ground.
- Obstacles such as roots or rocks can make these blades bend easily.
USA Mower Blades AYP340BP is, without a doubt, the best option to keep your lawn in good shape. The competitive price gives you the option of replacing the piece instead of sharpening, and it can be used on a wide range of models.
Buying Guide; Factors to consider when choosing lawn mower blades
When looking for the best aftermarket lawn mower blades, you’ll need to understand their structure and evaluate different factors so that the blades can meet your mowing needs. Although most mower blades are universal, no one size fits all. Below are critical features that you need to keep in mind when searching for replacement blades.
Type of blade; Lifting or Mulching
Mower blades are either designed to lift grass or getting rid of /mulch grass quickly. Lifting blades cut and collect grass into a bag, usually at the back of the mower, for disposal. These blades work by creating an upward air movement that lifts and cut the grass. The lifting blades come in three different forms;
Low lift lawn mower blades provide low suction power, and they are ideal for small mowers with limited workspace. You can use low lift blades to trim a typical front or back yard. In addition, these blades require little maintenance and work well for residential use.
Medium lift blades are generally larger than low lift blades, and they are perfect for mowing thicker grass and weeds. And because of this versatility, medium-lift blades are the easiest to find, and they are used for both commercial and residential purposes.
High lift lawn mower blades provide the highest suction power, and they are ideal for shearing through thicker grass quickly. Also, they tend to work for extended periods since they are designed to withstand heavy use. Overall they consume more power but take less time to complete a job.
Mulching blades, on the other hand, are preferred for fine mulching and for adding a creative and professional touch to your lawn. Mulching blades have a curved design that allows them to function in 3 ways;
- The blade pulls and cuts the grass
- The grass clippings are then drawn inside the deck, where they are chopped into finer pieces.
- The blade releases pressure to blow the small clippings back onto the lawn or into a bagger.
Mounts refer to the center used for installation. The center hole comes in different shapes, the common ones being circular and star-shaped. For the star-shaped mounts, the blades will either have 5 points or 6 points, and you’ll need to choose the correct outline for your specific mower mount. When replacing the blades, you’ll need to ensure that the center hole is the same as the previous one.
The angle in which the blades are tilted is going to make a big difference in how you go about operating the machine, cutting your grass, and bagging the clippings. For example, if you intend to leave the grass clippings on the lawn, you can use a low-angled blade. However, if you want to bag them into a container, a higher-angled blade will be the best option.
The thickness of the blades
Generally, the thicker the blades, the more efficient and powerful they are when it comes to mowing through a large garden in less time. However, they should not be too thick as they can difficult to handle. A thin blade, on the other hand, allows for more refined cuts, but they are not as powerful. In the end, it depends on your mowing needs and the desired mowing experience.
Length and width
The length and the width of the blades are probably one of the trickiest aspects you’ll need to consider. The length and the width should not be too long, as it might be challenging to manage. Neither they should not be too short since it will leave uncut strips on your lawn and make the process slower and harder. As such, it is always a good idea to find the perfect balance of the two aspects by taking some measurements of your machine to match the blades.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Question 1: How often should I replace my lawn mower blade?
Answer: This will depend on the extent and frequency of your mowing. For example, a homeowner may only require to replace the blade once per year or after every two years. Professional landscapers, on the other hand, might need to replace their blades more often, typically once per week, depending on their scope of operation.
Question 2: How do you determine if you have your lawn mower blades on correctly?
Answer: Mower blades have a cutting edge on both sides, and it is not uncommon to install one upside down. If this happens, the blade is not going to function, and this could also damage your machine. To avoid this, most blades will have a stamp with following the wordings; “This side Down” or “Towards grass”. This will help you determine which side should face the ground when installing your blade.
Question 3: Do you need to sharpen a new mower blade?
Answer: Although most blades are shipped pre-sharpened, some may arrive dull, requiring you to sharpen them before use. You can mow a small part of the lawn and observe the grass blades to determine if you need to sharpen your new mower blades. To sharpen the blades, use a metal file or run the blade through a bench grinder from the inside to the outside until you achieve a clean and shiny look.
Question 4: How do you clean a lawn mower blade?
Answer: You’ll need to remove the lawn mower blade careful using the correct tools. You can then use a garden hose to blow away grass and debris. Using a high-pressure hose will speed up the cleaning process with less effort. You can also use a rag soaked in vegetable oil to wipe both sides of the blade to keep it running smoothly and to prevent it from degrading quickly.
Question 5: How sharp should a lawn mower be?
Answer: A lawn mower blade should sharp but should not be razor-sharp; ideally, it should be sharp like a butter knife or like scissors; you should be able to touch the edge without getting injured. Too sharp blades get dull much faster, and they tend to nick often requiring to sharpen them frequently.
Given the fact that all comes down to personal taste and preferences, we can conclude that all the above models are the best blade replacements for any type of garden. However, in terms of an all-round blade, the Manpower 561713XB was our overall best lawn mower blade for, among other reasons being a great choice for both commercial and residential needs alike.
It also compatible with a large variety of lawn mowers, studier than other blades, and it is perfect when it comes to diverse terrains. Besides, it does the excellent job of cutting grass on your lawn while also discharging or bagging the grass clippings, thus ensuring less work of cleaning the lawn after mowing.
Regardless of the model you choose, be sure to keep your blades sharp, depending on the level of use. A dull mower blade will have a hard time mowing through your lawn, and this might expose your lawn to diseases and pests.